Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mapped Drive

Can I make my "default location" for new databases be a mapped drive? When
I go into the properties and select the database tab and select the ...
box to list my drives, the shared drive does not show up. If I go ahead
and enter the path of where I want the files to be located on the "mapped"
drive, it accepts it, but does not use it when I create a new database.
My situation is I have 2 computers in a single room and I want then to be
pointed at the same file location for all databases... Both machines have
MSDE version of sql server loaded...Can I somehow point one machine to the
second machines SQL server such that we are working on the same database?
Any ideas/suggestions'> MSDE version of sql server loaded...Can I somehow point one machine to
the
> second machines SQL server such that we are working on the same database?
I don't think you can share databases between engines (even between
instances on the same machine).
Why not just point one machine's client tools to the other machine's SQL
Server? Then one machine will be working locally, and the other will be
working "remotely" so to speak. But they will be working on the same copy
of exactly one database.
--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/|||No.
First, SQL does not support mapped drives for database or transaction log
files.
Second, when SQL does open a database file, it is completely exclusive for
that server instance. Even a second instance on the same host nod could not
access the same underlying database files.
--
Geoff N. Hiten
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Senior Database Administrator
Careerbuilder.com
I support the Professional Association for SQL Server
www.sqlpass.org
"Jim Heavey" <JHeavey@.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9495971974DBBJHeaveyBDUP@.207.46.248.16...
> Can I make my "default location" for new databases be a mapped drive?
When
> I go into the properties and select the database tab and select the ...
> box to list my drives, the shared drive does not show up. If I go ahead
> and enter the path of where I want the files to be located on the "mapped"
> drive, it accepts it, but does not use it when I create a new database.
> My situation is I have 2 computers in a single room and I want then to be
> pointed at the same file location for all databases... Both machines
have
> MSDE version of sql server loaded...Can I somehow point one machine to
the
> second machines SQL server such that we are working on the same database?
> Any ideas/suggestions'

No comments:

Post a Comment