Monday, February 20, 2012

Management Studio won''t install

I am running Windows XP Pro, SP 2. I had SQL Server 2005 installed, but had uninstalled it. The install didn't go cleanly (I have posted a message in SQL Server 2005 Setup forum detailing the problems). Put simply, the files for 2005 were uninstalled, but Configuration Manager still shows the services there - although they aren't started and I can't start them (because they are not physically there. When I installed 2008, the server installed fine, but SSMS didn't. The installer program says it is installed. I'm assuming my problem has to do with the screwed up uninstall. Any ideas how I clean this mess without wiping my drive and reinstalling the OS? Thanks.

Ok, I uninstalled both Sql Server 2008 and 2005. The install process went fine until the last step -- documentation. It failed here. However, I have a link to the Books On Line and it works. The server is installed and running, but not SSMS. I previously had installed VS2008 on the D drive. I've seen references in other posts that this might be a problem.

|||

I am having the same problem. I uninstalled SQL 2000 as the whitepapers said you can't have it with 2008, but all that installed was configuration tools and reporting services

No comments:

Post a Comment