Monday, February 20, 2012

Management Studio timeout problem when querying large table

Hi,

I have SQL Server Dev 2005 and I'm pulling my hair out due to timeouts when using the Criteria pane to query a large table. The timeout occurs after approximately 32 seconds.

I have changed all the timeout settings I can find/think of:

Server Query wait time of 59 seconds (has been much higher but made no difference)

Query execution timeout of 0

Designers | Analysis Service Designers | General | Query timeout = 0 Connection timeout = 0

Connection and execution settings on database are 0

I would expect the query to return around 50 rows from over 1,000,000 but I get:

SQL Execution Error

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding

If I change the criteria to return significantly more rows, then it works no problem. Which timeout setting have I missed?

Thanks in advance,

Chinnybloke

In Management Studio do the following:

1) Select Tools -> Options

2) Expand the "Query Execution" node

3) Click on "SQL Server"

4) Check the value for "Execution time-out"

Also, you'll want to check the server settings:

1) Connect the Server

2) In Object Explorer right-click on the server and select "Properties"

3) Select the "Advanced" page

4) Check the value for "Query Wait" under "Parallelism" - you can check out Books Online for more information or clicking in the value field for "Query Wait" displays a little bit of contextual help at the bottom of the dialog.

Finally, the other thing to try is running the same query from sqlcmd. This will at least help you isolate if it's a Management Studio setting problem or a server setting problem.

Cheers,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment