Monday, February 20, 2012

Management Studio: Project Hierarchy

I created a project type "SQL Server Scripts" in "Microsoft SQL Server
Management Studio", and the default structure created was:
+ Project Name
+ Connections (Type 2)
+ Queries (Type 0)
+ Miscellaneous (Type 3)
How can I create new folders? I'd like to organize my queries by subject
(Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, etc)
I tried to edit the project file (*.ssmssqlproj) to add new Logical Folders,
but it seems those folders are based on "Type" and you cannot have multiple
folders of the same type.
<LogicalFolder Name="Queries" Type="0">
After frustrating attempts, I decided to use the existing hierarchy. I added
my existing stored procedures to the "Queries" folder and realized the files
were not in alphabetical order. It's impossible to find anything when list
contains more than a thousand queries.
Am I using the SQL MANAGEMENT STUDIO correctly? If so, what's the purpose of
creating a SQL SCRIPT PROJECT if you cannot organize the files the way you
want? Please help!!!
I posted the same question a few days ago, and I also played around with the
project file to no avial. Someone replied then that this is an outstanding
issue with Microsoft. Please go to the site, vote on the issue, and add your
voice. If we don't complain, MS isn't going to do anything about it:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...7-be25db5080df
My feeling is that the whole VS 2005 suite, including Management Studio and
Team System, was rushed out and shipped half cooked.
Having replaced the graceful Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager with a
lumberous piece of bloatware (VS 2005 engine), you'd expect them to
compensate the developers/DBA's by allowing them to integrate SSMS with VS
2005 solutions or at least give them the ability to organize their projects
in a meaningful way.
"YYZRic" wrote:

> I created a project type "SQL Server Scripts" in "Microsoft SQL Server
> Management Studio", and the default structure created was:
> + Project Name
> + Connections (Type 2)
> + Queries (Type 0)
> + Miscellaneous (Type 3)
> How can I create new folders? I'd like to organize my queries by subject
> (Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, etc)
> I tried to edit the project file (*.ssmssqlproj) to add new Logical Folders,
> but it seems those folders are based on "Type" and you cannot have multiple
> folders of the same type.
> <LogicalFolder Name="Queries" Type="0">
> After frustrating attempts, I decided to use the existing hierarchy. I added
> my existing stored procedures to the "Queries" folder and realized the files
> were not in alphabetical order. It's impossible to find anything when list
> contains more than a thousand queries.
> Am I using the SQL MANAGEMENT STUDIO correctly? If so, what's the purpose of
> creating a SQL SCRIPT PROJECT if you cannot organize the files the way you
> want? Please help!!!
>
>
>
|||Thanks Buddie, I cast my vote!
"Homam" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> I posted the same question a few days ago, and I also played around with the
> project file to no avial. Someone replied then that this is an outstanding
> issue with Microsoft. Please go to the site, vote on the issue, and add your
> voice. If we don't complain, MS isn't going to do anything about it:
> http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/produc...7-be25db5080df
> My feeling is that the whole VS 2005 suite, including Management Studio and
> Team System, was rushed out and shipped half cooked.
> Having replaced the graceful Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager with a
> lumberous piece of bloatware (VS 2005 engine), you'd expect them to
> compensate the developers/DBA's by allowing them to integrate SSMS with VS
> 2005 solutions or at least give them the ability to organize their projects
> in a meaningful way.
>
>
> "YYZRic" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment