Monday, February 20, 2012

Management Studio vs. Management Studio Express Edition

I am back doing development after a three year hiatus. Previously I was working with SQL Server 2000 and Enterprise Manager and I need to get up to speed quickly on version 2005.

The computer I am using already has Management Studio Express installed but we have full licensed copies of version 2005 enterprise edition available. I have two questions:

    Are there features available in the full version of Management Studio that would compel me to switch from the Express Edition?

    If so, how in the heck do I make the switch. Is it as easy as uninstalling the Express Edition and then installing the full version from the 2005 enterprise edition CD?

I already tried installing from the enterprise CD and got the error message cited in other threads about being blocked so I want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks very much for your help and I apologize for the newbie question...

Yes, there is functionality available in the full version of SSMS that is not available with the Express version.

And removing SSMSE and installing SSMS 'should' work just fine.

|||Thanks for the reply. It required a couple of tries to get rid of Management Studio Express edition because of the dependent applications it installs, but it looks like I got it out finally and was able to do the installations of the full version Management Studio from the Enterprise Edition CD. Thanks for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment